Thursday, October 11, 2012

Post-Debate Head-Deflate

We just finished watching the Vice-Presidential Debate, and it made one powerful, completely non-partisan impression on me.  This political contest, and most of the contests I witness today, throw around such a tidal wave of conflicting statistics, conflicting cost figures, self-serving government-speak terminology, conflicting timelines, and unverifiable personal experiences -- which are then filtered through various media outlets who have their own preferred interpretation -- that the average viewer / voter has little hope of knowing the whole story.  We can only pick a sampling of claims, check them as closely as possible, and then extrapolate that veracity to the rest of the issues and to the honesty of the candidates themselves.  And it seems to be common practice for candidates to tell you only the part of the story that furthers their position, when knowing the whole picture makes their statement much less persuasive.

It reminds me of a commercial on TV right now where a spokesperson sits next to a stack of "survey results" (i.e. poorly stacked copy paper) about 5000 sheets high and she says, "We asked doctors if they would recommend a low calorie energy drink for their patients who use energy drinks.  They said 'yes,' so buy our drink!"  But my translation of that is, "We asked doctors if their patients should consume more junk calories or less junk calories.  They said 'less,' and we want you to think that means they like what we're selling."

I don't really have a political point to make, but it does make me wonder: When those outside the church hear us talking about our faith, do they hear us "spinning" things to cover over the questions we can't answer, the doubts that even believers struggle with, our failures at trying to live by a standard that is humanly impossible?  Do they feel confident, when we invite them to "vote with their lives" for following Jesus, that we haven't hidden the struggles and difficulties, and only presented the "perks"?  If I do that, like some Politician for God, as they stare at the thick Bible which may or may not verify my claims, shouldn't I expect them to just write me off?

I guess, as a spokesman for my Savior, the answer is up to me.  Lord, I don't want to talk anyone out of following You, but I want to be honest about the blessings and struggles of the journey.  You didn't sugar-coat things or hide the challenges, so why would we?  Help me listen to the Spirit of Truth as He shines His light on the words I say.


No comments:

Post a Comment